Thursday 19 September 2013

'why, this is hell, nor are we out of it'

hardly a day goes by
and you are already a symbol
a symbol of flickering outrage
in front of a screen
a symbol of impotent dismay
in an ergonomic chair
hardly a day goes by
and i wonder what they did
with the remains
i wonder what they would do
with that smouldering mess
then i remember
hell never has a garbage problem
i don't wonder how you felt
it is not my place to imagine
your ordeal
it is not my right to feel
your pain
i cannot claim i know
your terror
you are only an animal
and i am a devil
and everyone knows devils
do not suffer or feel pain or fear
hardly a day goes by
when i do not quote
Mephistopheles
to myself
quietly
in my head
hardly a day goes by
when i do not wonder
if my master has noticed
that i am shirking
and what my
punishment
will be
but i am a devil
and i cannot suffer
like the innocent do
like you did

No comments:

Widget_logo